Hello Family and Friends!

This is definitely a work in progress. Roger and I are trying to catch up with the internet world. This is supposedly a team effort, he is so much more computer savy than I am. I cannot do this on my own. I am stepping out first and hopefully he will jump in and add graphics and pictures and links, etc.

It will be interesting to see what we can pull together, because we are such a salt and pepper team. We compliment one another, but do not always work things out the same way! For example, he is a temple worker, I am a family history buff. Ultimately the same goal, different departments. Such has been our life together...

We were laughing the other day, I am always in jeans and he doesn't even own a pair. The one day, I dress up to go shopping, he didn't.

So wish us luck and send us advice, I think we could really use it!



Monday, September 3, 2012

My daily walk through the scriptures

I have spent the last few weeks studying talks that quote Nephi's famous statement in The Book of Mormon,

"I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." 

This has always been a favorite scripture, especially when I am facing a new assignment at church or making a stand of obedience facing oppostion.

The talks I have read come from speakers at the General Conferences of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1942 to 2012.  They have opened my eyes to so much more meaning than I saw at first.  What is almost unbelieveable, is how each talk unfolded to give me the comfort and counsel I needed on the day that I needed it most.  I was just reading down the list provided at http://scriptures.byu.edu/.  When I started to read the Book of Mormon again at the beginning of the year I chose this website as my study plan.  I have read about 70 talks and have about 20 more to go on this single scripture! 

This means I started reading when things in my life were on a smooth plane and about midway, things changed rapidly.  We went from stability to unemployment and then to loss of health.  And every step of the way, I read the words I needed the most all following one scripture. 
It still amazes me!

I am so grateful for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I am so grateful for modern prophets and apostles, general authorities and auxilary leaders who valiantly stand for the right, give us words of warning and prophesy to the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Their words of love and encouragement uplift and sustain me when I need it most.  Their examples inspire me to do better.  Their testimonies help reassure me that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me and will never give up on me.  Their messages remind me that there is purpose in my life and my daily decisions make a difference.  They instill in me the desire to pray, to study and to serve.  They build my desire to be like my Savior, Jesus Christ.  They feed me words of hope and comfort and joy, which satisfy my soul and yet - make me want more and I read longer than I should!

My scriptures have notations and post-it notes on many of the pages, but now I keep a separate scripture journal to write down my thoughts and feelings as I read.  There just isn't any room in the margins anymore!  What is so wonderful about the scriptures is that I know one day in the future when I read the same passages again - I will find something new that is meant for me when I need it most.

This new method of studying scripture has really helped me 'go and do the things the Lord commands'... 

No comments:

Post a Comment